There are now opportunities for qualified musicians (entrance audition required) in America’s Navy – with job openings varying by instrument.
Composed of traditional band instrumentation, vocalist/entertainers, and rhythm players (electric bass, guitar, piano and percussion), the Navy Music Program contains 11 Fleet bands (arranged by geographic region), two preferentially staffed bands (the U.S. Navy Band and the Naval Academy Band) plus one support unit. Those selected to be part of a Navy Band have the chance to cultivate their musical passion, showcase their talent on a unique stage and inspire others as musical ambassadors of their nation.
- Polishing musical skills through a 21-week basic course of instruction at the college-accredited Navy School of Music – completing a program that includes classes in theory; ear training; private instrumental instruction; and rehearsal in marching, concert and stage bands
- Being assigned as a member of a regional Navy Fleet Band
- Performing in styles ranging from chamber music to top 40 to jazz, for events ranging from parades to ceremonies to presidential inaugurations, and at venues ranging from public concert halls to ships at sea to live radio and television broadcasts
- Receiving paid training and access to potential education benefits – including the Navy Tuition Assistance program and Navy Loan Repayment Program
- Having access to professional career development opportunities in areas such as conducting, arranging and audio engineering
- U.S. citizenship: Required
- Education: High school diploma or GED or equivalent
- Gender: Male or female
- Age: 17 to 34
- Medical exam: Required
- Physical fitness test: Required
- Security clearance: Background check required
- Service commitment: Minimum of four years of Active Duty
Note: Candidates are not required to join the Navy or the Delayed Entry Program (DEP) prior to auditioning. Upon completion of a successful live audition, you will be guaranteed a job as a Navy Musician and guaranteed assignment to the Navy School of Music (MU "A" School) before enlistment.